Newsletter: How Do You Get Smarter Every Day?
Have you noticed how easy it is as successful professionals to get comfortable with what we already know and how things are already done? This trap persists (and tempts) even though we know that to stay relevant and interesting to our clients, employers, and even ourselves, we need fresh ideas and perspective. My go-to for nurturing ideas and learning new things amidst increasing professional and personal demands is reading.
Reading allows us to easily and effectively gather new ideas from a wide range of sources and to explore things outside of our own industries and geographies. Each summer, I compile a list of books I plan to read and share with those around me. This year, I find myself gravitating to the oldies but goodies that help me refocus and recharge. I also find myself consuming more information via podcasts and articles, so I’ll share a few of those as well. I encourage you to find pieces that resonate and to cultivate a learning list as part of your professional development.
My 2019 Summer Learning List
- Brene Brown’s The Gifts of Imperfection – which I find insightful professionally and as a parent
- David Allen’s Getting Things Done – which I revisit each year to ensure I’m spending my time as thoughtfully as I can
- Greg McKeown’s Essentialism – the spiritual cousin to the first two, which is a great starting place for evaluating your priorities
- Global Leadership Summit – short interviews of global leaders from different industries and walks of life
- How I Built This with Guy Raz – deep dive discussions with entrepreneurs on their journey to building successful companies
- Managing Oneself – a roadmap for thoughtful career (and life) planning
- To Understand Whether Your Company Is Inclusive, Map How Your Employees Interact – a thought-provoking approach to diversity & inclusion
- Dealing With Imposter Syndrome When You’re Treated As An Imposter
Discover more resources and inspiration to help you gather new ideas and find reading inspiration in this month’s newsletter.
Ready to go further?
We help high-achieving professionals in the nation’s most recognized law firms, financial institutions, and businesses scale the heights of career success and personal fulfillment.
You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.
Hiring Mountaintop Consulting to assist in my business development efforts was the catalyst I needed to move forward in marketing my practice in a meaningful way. The process was not easy, but the payoff has been significant, and the investment has proven worthwhile.
— Partner, Am Law 100 Law Firm
I found Mountaintop Consulting to be laser-focused in understanding our firm and what we had to offer and in helping us learn how best to communicate our expertise to our likeliest market.
— Founding Partner, Litigation Boutique
Ready for your Ascent?
Take the first steps. We can help you reach higher peaks in your career.